Monday, June 1, 2009

Aborting Away Our Future

I spent a summer in the Middle East some years ago. On one of these days, I found myself in a beautiful, tree-enclosed clearing up at the top of a hill. Early history of this clearing reveals a sordid past. It was a "sacred" clearing, one in which the people of the nearby land would gather at twilight to dance and worship some idols placed on the side of the clearing. They would burn some sacrifices to their idols each night. The sacrificial lambs? The newborn babies that were born, but were not wanted. These sacred rituals allowed the people to celebrate their promiscuity and to continue their numerous sexual encounters without the burden of the undesirable side effect of creation of human life.

I was so completely shocked that this was the history of this beautiful clearing. My innocent upbringing would not allow me to fully come to terms with this horror at this time. My thoughts were that if our society ever got to this point where we did this kind of thing, we should all tremble before God for what repercussions would befall us.

Some months went by before I realized that our society does have a ritual of this sort in abortion. It is an answer to many for irresponsibility. Fiercely protected by liberals, it has become a defining issue of our day. If myself and many other Americans were to choose just one issue we could vote on, this would be it. This is the supreme issue of our day. When Roe v. Wade made abortion legal back in 1973, I believe it was easier for people back then to attempt to justify abortion, to pretend that the fetus was not real. Technology was not as good back then. However, now with ultrasound being used regularly early in pregnancy, it can easily be seen that a 9 week old fetus has a heartbeat, a head, limbs, and can move. Now that it can't be disputed that there is life inside the womb before its movement can even be felt, it is harder to support abortion. I believe this is why the pro-life movement currently has its most supporters and continues to add to the ranks.

In conversing with several pro-choice acquaintances, I have noticed a similarity. These pro-choicers have told me that they would never have an abortion themselves, but they support the right to choose for other women. When pressed as to why they would not have an abortion themselves, I have been told that they believe it is wrong to have an abortion. Why would it be wrong to have an abortion? Because they are allowing for the possibility that it is murder of the fetus. But if it might be murder, and they would not do it, why would they support it for others? It makes no sense to me. Would they support murder of adults for others but not for themselves? And would they support the murder of an unwanted baby that had been born minutes ago like they did in the ancient Middle East clearing I visited so many years ago? Where do you draw the line? In partial birth abortions, the infant has essentially been born. Do you draw the line at a live baby that is not yet 24 hours old? Has not been taken home from the hospital yet? Whose head has not come out of the birth canal yet? 24 weeks in the womb? 12 weeks? 9 weeks?

Back in college, I had a professor who taught a business course, but was fond of philosophizing. She spoke of different attitudes of different times. She told us that we could not judge actions of others in times past because we can not say with surety that we would have done the "right" thing when the "wrong" thing was accepted and prevalent at the time. I believe some of the issues discussed were stoning, slavery, and a variety of other issues. I do not agree with this reasoning. Abortion for me is that issue. Legal and fairly widely accepted today, I am a staunch advocate for life, opposed to any type of abortion.

Some abortion facts from The Center for Bio-Ethical Reform: 42 million abortions per year, 1.37 million in the U.S. in the year 1996, 52% of abortions are women younger than 25 years old, black women are 3 times as likely as a white woman to have an abortion, and hispanic women are 2 times as likely, 64% of abortions are performed on women who have never been married, 93% of abortion are performed because the child is not wanted, and only 52% of abortion occur before 9 weeks of pregnancy.

An estimated 43% of all women will have at least 1 abortion by the time they are 45 years old. 47% of all abortions are performed on women who have had at least one previous abortion.

48% of all abortion facilities provide services after the 12th week of pregnancy. 9 in 10 managed care plans routinely cover abortion or provide limited coverage. About 14% of all abortions in the United States are paid for with public funds, virtually all of which are state funds. 16 states (CA, CT, HI, ED, IL, MA , MD, MD, MN, MT, NJ, NM, NY, OR, VT, WA and WV) pay for abortions for some poor women.

If universal health care comes to the United States, I can guarantee you that all abortions will be paid for with taxpayer money. Partial birth abortions are performed from weeks 24-36 of pregnancy. In this method, the viable baby is actually delivered except for the head which is stabbed so the brain can be sucked out. All abortion is murder. Partial birth abortion is an especially brutal murder. Our current president supports this.

2 comments:

  1. I'm shocked. There are really that many people who do this to themselves and another human?

    I'm stunned. How is it legal that clinics can offer to kill a healthy baby just because its head hasn't touched air?

    I'm sickened. I might be forced to "help" (by paying taxes) something that I whole-heartedly abhor?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do not even get me started on this subject Shari. I am a passionate pro-lifer. People who are pro-choice, just don't care (if it's not me or my baby, why should I care). How can you not care?? Abortion is the American Holocaust and it makes me SICK. Abortion is no different than murder.

    I did a paper my first semester of college on partial-birth abortion, this was shortly after I had placed my daughter for adoption, can you imagine the parallel? It was devastating to write about, but I felt it was so important to educate even just the 20 or so people in my class. I couldn't help but think, was it too much for these people to just give birth to this poor innocent child and give it a home and a life? Instead the better option was to kill the baby? It just seriously boggles my mind. Needless to say, my Professor kept my paper to use as a future example.

    If you ask me, abortion is one of the biggest problems that America faces today and it's being severely ignored and pushed aside, and we have those who don't have an opinion on it, don't care about it and those who sit on the fence about it to thank (i,e pro-choicers). Okay, I am finished :)

    Great post by the way, a lot of useful and important info.

    ReplyDelete